June through mid July
During the summer, NMSU Upward Bound students will participant in one of two summer programs. Students will receive one elective credit on their high school transcript if they successfully complete the summer program.
1. NMSU Upward Bound Summer Program
It is required that program participants complete a six week summer program that is designed to simulate a college-going experience. During the summer, students will gain exposure to college life by:
- Being on the NMSU campus, Monday through Friday from 8:15am—3:00pm
- Attending classes in English, Math, Science, Foreign Language and an Elective
such as Test Strategies, Computer Technology, Health & Wellness, or the Arts.
- Participating in various cultural events and educational activities
- Visiting college campuses, academic departments and learning about degree programs
Students have the opportunity to EARN a summer stipend which is based on attendance, participation and completing summer courses.
2. Regional UB Math-Science Summer Program
There is a summer option for students who wish to apply to a Regional Upward Bound Math & Science Program.
This program is geared for students who are interested in pursuing a STEM related career in Science, Technology,
Engineering and Mathematics while improving academic skills.
Upon acceptance to the Upward Bound Math-Science summer program,
you will attend and complete a six week summer program at Trinidad State Junior College.
Students will gain a college life experience by:
- Living in residential halls, attending classes, participating in educational/recreational activities
- Enrolling in English, Math, Science and Electives such as Psychology, Career Exploration,Test Prep, Spanish, etc.
- Being exposed to careers in Math & Science and participate in scientific research
- Participating in community service events and special projects
- Visiting college campuses
- Meeting new people